Barry Graham (BG) Porter is a member of the executive leadership team of Huron. He currently leads the development of subscription-based offerings and previously has overseen Studer Group; Huron Medical Group; healthcare IT optimization; healthcare Strategy; and Huron’s Federal practice. BG brings more than 20 years of experience in management consulting and executive leadership roles. His areas of focus include leadership alignment and performance, operational excellence, and transformation of culture, values and standards.
BG joined Huron in 2015 through the acquisition of Studer Group, becoming part of the executive leadership team of the healthcare practice. Prior to Huron, BG served as CEO of Studer Group, following the successful recapitalization with private equity partner JMI Equity. As CEO, BG led the acceleration of the company’s growth and development of new products and enabling technologies, as well as oversaw the transition from a founder-led organization to a board and management-led enterprise. Prior to becoming CEO of Studer Group, BG was business partner to founder Quint Studer and President of Studer Group. BG oversaw day to day operations including client services, coaching, educational conferences, speakers’ bureau and publishing, and internal employee engagement. He led the recruitment of the management team, many of whom remain part of Studer Group and Huron today, and guided international expansion to Canada and Australia. During his tenure Studer Group earned the Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award, the U.S. Presidential award for performance excellence in business. For seven consecutive years Studer Group was recognized by The Great Places to Work Institute as one of the 50 best small and medium workplaces.
BG began his professional career with international consulting firm McKinsey & Co., Inc, focused on strategy, organization and operations in the U.S., Mexico and Argentina.
- For a Huron-Studer Group client, led a merger and acquisition-related cultural assessment as part of the successful strategic sale of the enterprise, with an objective of growth and long term service to its faith-based mission and community
- For a regional clinically integrated network served by Huron, introduced the Evidence-Based Leadership℠ methodology and advised the executive team on deploying this operational framework for transformation
- For a public “safety net” health system, served the Board of Managers and executive team in improving engagement among all stakeholders to build a culture of quality and performance for its county and population served
- For a large academic medical center, provided executive team coaching to support rapid expansion through integration of multiple acquired or developed hospitals and clinics while introducing a unified brand promise statewide
Education And Certifications
- Master of Business Administration, Harvard Business School
- Bachelor of Arts, with Honors, Political Science, Stanford University
- Master of Social Science in Asian Government, University of Queensland Australia (Rotary Scholar)
- “How to Assess Cultural Fit in a Merger”, HFMA, January 2017
- Building a Quality Framework: The Structure and Focus That Create a High-Performing Organization, Studer Group