Zeev Kain, MD, MBA, FAAP
Zeev Kain is a Yale- and Harvard-trained physician, thought leader and innovator. He currently holds the academic rank of chancellor’s professor at the University of California and is the president of the American College of Perioperative Medicine. Dr. Kain is a senior healthcare executive, an anesthesiologist and pediatrician who has an extensive background in physician alignment, transformational operations management in hospitals and physician communication. He previously served as the associate dean of clinical operations, chief medical officer and chair of anesthesiology at UC Irvine Health and chief of children’s anesthesia and member of the Board of Governance at the Yale Medical Group.
Dr. Kain is internationally well known for his seminal work on transforming surgical care through value-based care, which is focused on increased patient and provider experience, improvement in clinical care and lower healthcare costs. Dr. Kain has brought UC Irvine Health to 5 stars in UHC ratings, improved Leapfrog ratings and superior HCAHPS ratings. He has established a safety officers core, brought Lean Six Sigma and Lean into the organization and focused on physician alignment, physician communications and risk mitigation. As chair of anesthesiology, he markedly improved perioperative clinical services, instituted innovative education initiatives and built multiple research programs. Over the past 20 years, Dr. Kain’s well-established NIH research program has focused on preparing and managing children and families during a surgical episode of care.
Industry Speaking Engagements
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS)
- European Society of Anaesthesiology, Portugal
- American Society of Anesthesiologists (ASA)
- Japanese Society of Anesthesiologists, Japan
- American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons (ASCRS)
- South African Society of Anaesthesiologists, South Africa
- American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP)
- International Anesthesia Research Society (IARS)
- American Hospital Association (AHA)
- Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society (HIMSS)
- Children’s Hospital Association (CHA)
- Healthcare Financial Management Association (HFMA)
Education and Certifications
- Master of Business Administration (MBA), Healthcare Management, Columbia University, New York
- Stanford Executive Program (SEP), Stanford University, Stanford, California
- Board Certification in Pediatrics and Anesthesiology
- Medical Doctor (MD), Ben-Gurion University of the Negev, Israel
- Member, American Society of Anesthesiologists (ASA)
- Member, American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP)
- Member, American College of Healthcare Executives (ACHE)
- Implemented Lean Six Sigma training for more than 300 individuals in UC Irvine Health. Championed multiple improvement projects such as discharge by noon, door-to-tissue-plasminogen-activator (tPA) time, HCAHPS scores, digital patient experience, etc.
- Founded a new patient-centric society that focuses on value-based care international conferences.
- Led development and implementation of hospital-medical staff joint ventures focused on surgical patient care value-based care programs. This was done in community, university and Kaiser settings.
- Trusted advisor to executive leadership for value-based care; strategy, execution and outcome; and process metrics.