Thomas Norris, MD, FAAFP, CPE, FACPE
Dr. Thomas (Tom) Norris has over 40 years of healthcare experience as a clinician, physician executive and academician/medical educator. He has demonstrated enduring excellence as a clinician, physician leader, teacher and researcher. Dr. Norris lives in Seattle with his wife Sandy. They have three adult children and five grandchildren. Besides spending time with family, he enjoys fishing, flying, boating and woodworking. Dr. Norris is currently working on building an airplane.
Dr. Norris’ diverse practice experience includes work as a Navy physician, a rural family physician in Montana, a residency director and multiple roles as a faculty member at the University of Washington where he is a professor and chair emeritus of family medicine. His robust medical management experience comprises service as managing partner in a medical group, hospital chief of staff and board member, family medicine residency program director, co-founder/CEO/CMO of the large primary care network at the University of Washington (where he also served as vice dean for academic affairs and chair of family medicine), president of both the Montana and Washington Academies of Family Practice, director and president of the American Board of Family Medicine (ABFM), director and board chair of the American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS), and currently as a director on the ECFMG board.
Dr. Norris’ varied experiences in operations and director roles include long term knowledge gained from teaching leadership and change management. His ability to develop strong relationships and work effectively has resulted in a proven servant leadership collaborative approach to problems, resulting in quantifiable improvements in patient care and experience, as well as higher physician and staff satisfaction.
Education and Certifications
- Bachelor of Science, Biology, Highest Honors, Texas State University
- Doctor of Medicine, Honors, University of Texas Medical Branch
- Family Medicine Residency and Chief, St. Joseph’s, Kansas University
- Medical Management Certification—ACPE and Tulane University
- Fellowship (Faculty Development) University of Washington
- Member, American Medical Association
- Member, American Academy of Family Physicians
- Member, Society of Teachers of Family Medicine
- Member, American Association for Physician Leadership (formerly American College of Physician Executives)
Publications and Speaking Engagements
- Author of over 65 peer-reviewed journal articles, 3 books and over 80 other publications
- Speaker at more than 250 invited engagements on medical and management topics in regional, national and international venues
Resources by this Leader