Rodney Tucker, MD, MMM
Rodney Tucker, MD, MMM, is a physician and the chief experience officer for University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB) Medicine. Dr. Tucker has over 20 years of experience in both private practice and in large academic medical centers as aclinician in the culture-changing practice of palliative medicine. He now blends this clinical work with his role helping UAB to keep the voice and vision of patients in every conversation. Dr. Tucker’s passion is focused on what he calls “restoring the art of healing to the science of curing” and matching “preference with evidence” for every patient in a patient- and family-centric model.
Prior to joining Studer Group as a speaker, Dr. Tucker spent more than a decade focused on developing a clinical model of comprehensive palliative and supportive care within an academic medical center at UAB Medicine. He also serves as an endowed chair and director of the UAB Center for Palliative and Supportive Care, on the board of directors of the American Academy of Hospice and Palliative Care and on the faculty for the Center to Advance Palliative Care. In his role as the chief experience officer at UAB, he heads the Office of Patient Experience and Engagement (OPXE) and is a regular speaker at several national conferences. Dr. Tucker is an active member of the Beryl Institute and Vizient, as well as a participant in Studer Group conferences.
Dr. Tucker and the team at UAB first partnered with Studer Group in 2010 to bring innovative coaching, alignment and solutions to the organization through an platform focused on integration, improvement and innovation. Complete with directors, specialists, coaches and physician associate experience officers (AXOs), the department is influencing and steering the organization toward the future.
Industry Speaking Engagements
- Studer Group’s What’s Right in Health Care®
- Press-Ganey National Client Conference
- American Academy of Hospice and Palliative Medicine
- Center to Advance Palliative Care
- New Hanover Regional Medical Center, South Carolina
- Cox Health, Missouri
- Memorial Healthcare Physicians Group, Florida
- HFMA Region 3 Summit, Pennsylvania
- University of Washington, Seattle
Education and Certifications
- Bachelor of Science, University of Alabama at Birmingham
- Medical Doctorate, University of Alabama at Birmingham School of Medicine
- Masters in Medical Management, University of Southern California
- Certified Professional Behaviors Analyst, Data Dome
- Board Member, American Academy of Hospice and Palliative Medicine
- Member, American Medical Association
- Member, American Association of Physician Leaders
- Member, Center to Advance Palliative Care
- Member, Beryl Institute and Vizient