Owen Thomas, MHA, BComm
Owen has over 30 years of healthcare industry experience in both the public and private sectors in a variety of executive and managerial roles. He has led many organisations in the role of chief executive officer, general manager or area director, ranging from teaching hospitals to specialist private centres. These roles have often required significant change management implementation to achieve the desired results at all levels.
Owen has had an extensive career in public health care including the creation of executive management development programs, management of multi-sited service delivery care models and the development and transformation of two major teaching hospitals. He has also held numerous positions at the area health service level which included line management responsibility for service delivery through to strategic change management leadership and implementation roles. Additionally, Owen has spent time as a chief executive officer of a specialist hi-technology private hospital and has a solid understanding of the dynamics of private hospital operations. Owen’s deep understanding of organisational and cultural change and his insightful ability to drive the core issues allow him to develop both strategic and tactical solutions to achieve desired outcomes. He has highly developed interpersonal skills and a proven track record in stakeholder management. This combination of strategic, operational and interpersonal skills combined with a customer-focused philosophy ensures Owen brings value to any client or organisation with which he works.
- Led several major capital works programs including the redevelopments of both St. George and Wollongong Hospitals, major teaching and trauma centres
- Specialist in mentoring and onboarding executives and managers
- Proven leader in engaging with doctors across all levels
- Trusted advisor and mentor to healthcare leaders
Education and Certifications
- Bachelor of Commerce, University of New South Wales
- Master of Health Administration, University of New South Wales
- Management Development Program, Australian Management College, Mt Eliza
- General Management Program, Australian Graduate School of Management
- Strategic HR Management, Australian Graduate School of Management
- Surveyor, Australian Council on Healthcare Standards (ACHS) for 6 years
Board Membership - Education Sector
- Owen has served on the Board of a leading private school in Sydney’s south for over 10 years during which time the school has experienced substantial growth.