Mary O'Brien, MBA
Described as a respected, engaged and motivated leader, Mary O’Brien has over 30 years of progressive operational leadership experience. Her expertise in utilizing Studer Group’s Evidence-Based Leadership℠ model has allowed her to create successful accountability structures and dyadic and interdisciplinary relationships for her client partners.
Mary serves as a coach and account leader for Studer Group’s Physician Service Line with primary focus on medical group practices as well as physician coaching. Mary’s portfolio includes academic and unified health systems, private, and not for profit enterprises. In her coaching role, Mary has successfully supported teams in aligning behaviors that improve the patient experience of care and drive CAHPS Top Box results. Mary’s focus on physician and employee engagement and the development of leaders to cultivate commitment has yielded top tier performance for her partners. Her expertise in redesigning systems and processes has been highlighted as not only improving efficiency and reducing variation in practice, but enhancing patient care and clinical outcomes.
Mary has a proven track of record of success developing, teaching and anchoring the use of standardized metrics with robust dashboards that support organizational goals allowing for cascading across the employee base to enhance focus, motivation and attainment of exceptional outcomes. In her role as an account leader for Studer Group, Mary has the privilege of partnering with senior physician and operational executives to develop and align strategy, goals, behaviors and processes while supporting ongoing development and utilization of the Evidence-Based Leadership℠ framework. Prior to joining Studer Group, Mary was the Director of Patient Resource Management and Advanced Clinical Services as well as the Director of the Pediatric Cardiovascular Program at Duke University Health System.
- Account leader and service line leader for nationally recognized academic medical centers and large regional health systems
- Multiple partners chosen to present their results at What’s Right in Health Care Best Practices Conference
- Recipient of Studer Group Pillar award
- Implemented a structured and dynamic process for coordination of care to enhance patient flow and throughput, reduce inpatient length of stay and avoidable days while creating accountability and partnership of team members from the bedside to the boardroom and across functional teams
- Served as operational chair for transitions in care efforts for medically fragile, high utilizing patients; results included a decrease in unnecessary utilization of inpatient and emergency department utilization, a 37 percent reduction in readmissions, and an 80 percent increase in use of appropriate outpatient resources resulting in an average savings of 500K in less than 12 months
- Directed and served as operational leader for Partners in Progress, a voluntary team of medical professionals in the development of a self-sustaining pediatric cardiovascular program in Leon, Nicaragua
- Over four years of experience serving as a member of the Baldridge Journey to Excellence and ongoing contributor to Magnet accreditation and recertification
Education and Certifications
- Master of Business Administration, Meredith College, Raleigh, NC
- Bachelor of Arts, Psychology, Meredith College, Raleigh, NC