Mary has 30 years of experience in health care and manufacturing operations. Her background in human resources and service excellence gives her the ability to help leaders create an environment where all team members can achieve excellence. Her passion is working with others to build relationships through mutual respect, clear communication, and making a difference.
Mary’s love of health care began as a board member of her local hospital. After a year on the board, she joined the organization with responsibility for Human Resources, Employee Health, Patient/Staff/Community Education, Marketing, and Business Health. She also worked closely with the CEOs and Senior Teams of the Critical Access Hospitals in the region. She served as the internal coach for Organizational Excellence as the organization partnered with Studer Group and successfully implemented Evidence-Based LeadershipSM.
- Presented at 15 Leadership Development Institutes on topics ranging from conflict resolution to leaders’ role in successful culture change.
- Led the design and development of new service line, Business Health, providing education and services to ensure safe and healthy workplaces for businesses in the region.
- Ensured patient, employee and public safety through certification and serving as Incident Commander or Program Chief in the Hospital Incident Command System during emergency preparedness drills.
- Led the internal team during 2010 CMS Accreditation On-site Survey demonstrating the consistent execution of processes and quality of care
- Behavioral Health Unit patient experience at the 99th percentile for over 5 consecutive years during which there was a change in department leadership.
- Improved employee engagement from 88th to 93rd percentile during a one-year period using improved communication, performance management and recognition tactics.
- Improvement in patient experience from 31st percentile to 88th percentile in a four-year period.
- Redesign of departmental systems and processes to improve effectiveness and efficiency with an 8% reduction in FTE’s without a reduction in force.
Education and Certifications
- Certified Professional in Human Resources (PHR)
- Member, National Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM)
- Member, American Society for Healthcare Human Resource Association (ASHHRA)
- Member and Past President, SD Healthcare Human Resource Association (SDHHRA)
- Member and Past President, Aberdeen Area Human Resource Association (AHHRA)