Katie Oliva, RN, MBA, MSN
Katie’s passion to improve the experience and quality of care for patients is the key driver in her work helping organizations across the country achieve their goals. She brings more than 20 years of nursing and healthcare education experience, with the last 8 years as a nursing and clinical operations executive. Katie is a leader in the coaching division of Studer Group, overseeing the organization’s work with national accounts.
Katie’s experience ranges from small community hospitals to regional referral/trauma center hospitals and integrated healthcare systems. She has hardwired operational tactics to increase patient and family perceptions of care and improve quality outcomes. Using proven tools, principles and Studer Group tactics, Katie has led organizations starting at a 1st percentile ranking to sustain a 99th percentile ranking long-term. She has also implemented high reliability tools and techniques that led to system-wide high performance in less than 90 days between serious safety events. Katie is a certified Nursing Executive, Advanced (NEA-BC), and holds certifications as a Critical Care Clinical Nurse Specialist (CCNS), and Critical Care RN (CCRN).
- Increased patient satisfaction by 25 percent as measured by Professional Research Consultants, Inc.
- Increased overall percentile rankings from the 1st percentile to the 99th percentile as measured by Press Ganey
- Decreased Left Without Being Seen rate from 5 percent to 1 percent
- Achieved the system’s highest employee engagement scores at 4.70 out of 5.0 as measured by Gallup
- Decreased surgery start time from 45-minute average late start to 6-minute average late start time using LEAN process improvements
Education and Certifications
- Masters in Business Administration, Indiana Wesleyan University, Marion, IN
- Masters of Science in Nursing, Purdue University, Calumet, Hammond, IN
- Bachelors of Science in Nursing, Bethel College, Mishawaka, IN
- Associate Degree in Nursing, Xavier University, Cincinnati, OH
- Member, American College of Healthcare Executives (ACHE)
- Member, American Organization of Nurse Executives (AONE)
- Member, American Association of Critical Care Nurses (AACN)
Publications and Speaking Enagements
- “Essentials of Critical Care Orientation,” American Association of Critical Care Nursing National Teaching Institute, 2006
- “Show Me the Evidence: Utilizing Evidence-Based Nursing in Critical Care,” American Association of Critical Care Nursing, 2007
- “Developing Critical Thinking Skills in Nursing,” Trauma Symposium, 2009
- “Lantus: A New Insulin,” MedSurg Nursing, 2003
- “Therapeutic Hypothermia After Cardiac Arrest,” Dimensions of Critical Care Nursing, 2006