Karen Bennett, B.SC.O.T., M.B.A.
Karen has more than 30 years of clinical and leadership experience in Ontario healthcare. As a coach, she focuses on individual and organizational strengths to enable effective integration of Evidence-Based LeadershipSM practices. Building resilient teams has been a key to her success as a leader, guiding clinical programs through numerous hospital divestments, mergers and acquisitions while maintaining a team of leaders dedicated to high-quality, safe, patient-centered care. In her last position, Karen was analyzed data to develop an integrated patient care plan model, which provided a breakthrough for the successful discharge of long-stay alternative-level of care patients and positive patient experience results. Karen is driven by a passion to create environments in which engaged, resilient teams, provide an exceptional patient experience.
Prior to joining Studer Group, Karen provided independent consulting, assessing and implementing strategies to create safe healthcare environments for patients, family and employees. Engaged by senior leaders in a variety of health care organizations, Karen provided an objective review of processes and critical incidents, which included supporting implementation of recommendations alongside organizational leaders. Prior to this, Karen was the vice president of addictions, mental health and seniors’ services at North Bay Regional Health Centre, with responsibility for specialized health services within a multi-site, healthcare organization with regional accountabilities. Under Karen’s leadership and her focus on quality, customer service and community engagement, patient-centered care innovations improved alternative-level of care rates and successful repatriation of individuals with mental and physical health needs to their home communities. Karen has a clinical background as an occupational therapist, with experience in psychiatry and neurology.
- Trusted advisor to executive leadership for implementation of Evidence-Based LeadershipSM – strategy, execution, communications, and success metrics
- Demonstrated year-over-year improvements in partner organizations’ employee engagement results
- Led the integration of ministry-directed reporting results into clinical care planning to improve patient care outcomes
- Decentralized child and adolescent mental health inpatient specialty services in North Eastern Ontario
- Benefited many healthcare projects, including the successful introduction of electronic medical records in clinical programs
- Led the repatriation of long-stay mental health patients resulting in the successful community integration of more than 50 individuals and related operational improvements
Education and Certifications
- Bachelor of Science, Occupational Therapy, University of Toronto
- Master of Business Administration, Lake Superior State University
- Member, Canadian College of Health Leaders (CCHL)
Publications and Speaking Enagements
- “Key Words at Key Times,” Studer Conferences, May 2016