Ian MacDonald, M.Mgt, BHA, FAIM, FACHSM, CHE
Ian is the managing director of Studer Group Australasia. Ian has over 30 years' healthcare industry experience in both the public and private sectors in the roles of general manager and chief executive officer. These roles have often been in businesses requiring a strong strategic and operational focus or needing strong leadership as the organisations rapidly grew and developed.
Ian established Studer Group in Australia and New Zealand in 2005, leading its highly successful development and growth across these two countries and now expanding into Southeast Asia. Ian had a successful career in public health management including roles in general management of hospitals and working in a variety of roles at the area health service level. In the private sector, he held numerous chief executive officer appointments and project roles at both state and corporate levels. In addition to executive and strategic management roles, Ian developed a specialised expertise in the privatisation of health services, overseeing the largest privatisation project in Australia, the Joondalup Health Campus in WA.
Ian has an outstanding skillset to enable complex and difficult challenges to be analysed, actions planned, and implementation of goals achieved. This is combined with his experience in cultural change and executive development that allows him to support organisations to grow and meet the challenges before them. He has a strong rapport with the many stakeholders involved in the health industry and has led many stakeholder discussions and negotiations. He is also well-versed in the clinical and business issues facing the healthcare industry. This blend of strong operational and strategic skills combined with his focus on how organisations culturally function allows Ian to provide an outstanding level of support and advice to a broad range of health facilities across both the public and private sectors.
- Led large scale organisational change across healthcare systems and hospitals
- Senior leader and advisor to multiple healthcare organisations in the public and private sectors
- Advisor, mentor and coach to boards and senior executives across the healthcare industry
- Led the largest privatisation and redevelopment of a public hospital in Australia
- Specialist in business and performance turnaround across healthcare businesses
- Leader in the development of strategy to move organisations to higher levels of performance
Education and Certifications
- Bachelor of Health Administration, University of New South Wales
- Master of Management, University of Technology Sydney
- Accredited Facilitator, Team Management Profile
- Marketing in Healthcare
- Total Quality Management
- Various Leadership, Teams & Change Management Development Programs
- Fellow, Australian Institute of Management (AIM)
- Fellow, Australasian College of Health Service Management (FCHSM)
- Surveyor, Australian Council on Healthcare Standards (ACHS) for 14 years
- Australasian College of Health Service Management