Gurpreet Dhaliwal, M.D.
Gurpreet Dhaliwal, MD is a Professor of Medicine at the University of California San Francisco. He studies how doctors think, how they diagnose, how they make treatment decisions and how they develop expertise. Considered one of the most skillful diagnosticians and clinician-educators in the U.S. today, Dr. Dhaliwal sees patients and teaches medical students and residents in the emergency department, inpatient wards and outpatient clinic at the San Francisco VA Medical Center.
Dr. Dhaliwal is board certified in internal medicine and practices hospital medicine and emergency medicine. He also works one-half day per week in the outpatient general medicine clinic.
In 2012, Dr. Dhaliwal was profiled in The New York Times article, “Could a Computer Outthink This Doctor?” He writes for The Wall Street Journal’s “The Experts” healthcare blog. Dr. Dhaliwal is a member of the UCSF Academy of Medical Educators and the UCSF Department of Medicine Council of Master Clinicians. He has won multiple teaching awards, including the Alpha Omega Alpha Robert J. Glaser Distinguished Teacher award and the UCSF Academic Senate Distinction in Teaching award. He has published over ninety articles in leading medical journals including the New England Journal of Medicine and the Journal of the American Medical Association. Dr. Dhaliwal has been a visiting professor at multiple universities across the U.S. and in China and Japan. He writes and speaks on physician leadership, physician engagement and the need for physicians to engage in high-value care.
Industry Speaking Engagements
- Healthcare Financial Management Association National Meeting
- Kaufman Hall Healthcare Leadership Conference
- American Medical Association State Legislative Strategy Conference
- The Governance Institute Chair, CEO and Physician Leader Conference
- IPC-UCSF Fellowship for Healthcare Leaders
- Center for Health Design National Conference
- The Joint Commission
- “Diagnostic Challenges in the New Era of Health IT,” The Joint Commission, January 2017
- “Physician Feedback,” University of Washington Leadership Development Institute, January 2016
- “Are You on a Team?” Kaiser South San Francisco Chiefs and Directors Offsite, September 2015
- “Physician Alignment and the Keystone Habit,” Studer Conferences, August 2015
Education and Certifications
- Chief Resident, University of California San Francisco, Department of Medicine
- Resident, University of California San Francisco, Department of Medicine
- M.D., Northwestern University Medical School
- American Medical Association
- Society to Improve Diagnosis in Medicine
- Clerkship Directors of Internal Medicine
- Society of General Internal Medicine
- Wall Street Journal The Experts (Healthcare) Blog http://blogs.wsj.com/experts/tag/gurpreet-dhaliwal
- Dhaliwal G. Doctors are Competitive: Use that to Improve Care Delivery. Healthcare Financial Management Association hfm. June 2014; 68(6): 152. www.hfma.org/Content.aspx?id=23139
- Rajkomar A, Dhaliwal G. Improving Diagnostic Reasoning to Improve Patient Safety. The Permanente Journal. Summer 2011; 15(3):68-73.
- Dhaliwal G. Clinical Excellence: Make It A Habit. Academic Medicine. November 2012; 87 (11): 1473.
- Dhaliwal G. Bringing High Value Care to the Inpatient Teaching Service. JAMA Internal Medicine. 2014 Jul 1; 174(7):1021-2.
- Dhaliwal G, Sehgal N. Demystify Leadership In Order to Cultivate It. Academic Medicine. Nov 2014; 89(11):1441.
- Dhaliwal G. The Greatest Generation. JAMA. 2015;314(22):2353-2354.