Barbara Roehl, MD, MBA
Barbara is a practicing physician with over 28 years of experience in healthcare, including 15 years as a physician and health system leader. Her background in business and medicine gives her a unique ability to communicate, influence, and build consensus with a diverse audience of physicians, nurses, senior leaders, and clinical support staff. Since the terminal illness of a family member gave her the opportunity to experience the healthcare system from the perspective of the consumer, Barbara has been driven by a passion for system change to positively impact patients. During her time in the academic and community medical settings, she was named a “Top Doc”, published several journal articles, obtained grant funding, and participated in curriculum development. She has led several physician-oriented and multidisciplinary clinical initiatives.
- Medical Director / physician coach, Studer Group, 2013-current.
- Practicing Physician, Inspira Health Network (formerly Underwood Memorial Hospital), 2006-current
- Chief Clinical Integration Officer, Medical Director of Acute Care of Elders (ACE) Unit and Geriatric
- Initiatives, Care Coordination Department Director, Family Medicine Residency Program Assistant Director, Faculty, and Medical Student Clerkship Director; Inspira Health Network (formerly Underwood-Memorial Hospital), Woodbury, NJ
- Market Research Analyst; Merck & Co., Inc., Lansdale, PA
- Government and Community Affairs Associate; St. Luke’s-Roosevelt Hospital Center, New York, NY
- Improved Physician Leader Development assessment scores, physician engagement survey scores, and patient experience as measured by CGCAHPS and HCAHPS with healthcare systems throughout the United States
- Established a successful Care Transitions Program for senior high utilizer patients to bridge the care continuum resulting in significantly reduced readmissions and Emergency Department visits
- Initiated the Inspira Health Network’s Patient Centered Medical Home journey
- Led an interdisciplinary team to develop an Acute Care of Elders Unit which achieved sustained results including 30-day readmission reduction of 2.8%; reduced Pressure Ulcers, Falls, and Catheter Acquired Urinary Tract Infections; eliminated Deep Vein Thrombosis.
- Developed and implemented a cost-effective, physician-staffed Palliative Care Program
- Standardized care delivery as part of the Computerized Physician Order Entry Advisory Group
EDUCATION AND CERTIFICATIONS
- Geriatrics Fellowship, Department of Family and Community Medicine, Jefferson Medical College, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, PA
- Family Practice Internship and Residency, Underwood Memorial Hospital Program, Woodbury, NJ
- Doctorate of Medicine, MCP-Hahnemann University School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA
- Masters of Business Administration, The Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA
- Bachelor of Arts, Cum Laude, University of California at Berkeley, Berkeley, CA
- “Beyond Grand Rounds: A Comprehensive and Sequential Intervention Strategy to Improve Clinician Identification of Delirium”, Journal of American Geriatrics Society, May, 2010
- “Medication Prescribing in Older Adults,” Annals of Long-Term Care, Clinical Care and Aging, 2006
Resources by this Leader