Located 55 miles southwest of Chicago, Morris Hospital was founded in 1906 by members of the community who believed the sick and injured shouldn’t have to travel far from home to receive medical services. Today, that same vision and determination inspires the employees, volunteers, physicians and volunteer Board members who work together to make the independent, community-based, 89-bed Morris Hospital & Healthcare Centers one of the leading healthcare organizations in the nation. Morris Hospital & Healthcare Centers is one of Truven Health Analytics 100 Top Hospitals award winners for 2016.
Morris Hospital & Healthcare Centers already had a strong reputation for delivering compassionate and personalized patient care when it embarked on its Studer journey in 2006. Yet the leaders of Morris Hospital & Healthcare Centers were convinced that adopting the Studer Group principles would help take the organization to the next level. They developed standards of conduct, formed patient satisfaction, service recovery, reward and recognition and communication teams, and incorporated rounding, thank you notes, AIDET®, and key words into the Morris Hospital culture, along with the Leader Evaluation Manager (LEM) tool. Weekly management huddles and tri-annual employee forums have become hardwired and key means of communication, with forum attendance having increased from 266 employees in 2008 to 672 employees today.
As good as things were before, over the past decade, Morris Hospital & Healthcare Centers has only gotten better as a place for employees to work, for physicians to practice medicine, and for patients to receive care. For example:
- Ten years ago on the employee engagement surveys, 33.6% of employees said Morris Hospital & Healthcare Centers is an “excellent” place to work. On the most recent survey conducted in 2015, 79.7% of employees gave Morris Hospital an “excellent” rating.
- Today, 67.1% of physicians say Morris Hospital is an excellent place to practice medicine, as compared to 62.3% in 2009.
- In 2006, Morris Hospital received one 5-Star Excellence in Healthcare Award and two 4-Star awards from Professional Research Consultants, the firm that conducts its patient surveys. This year, Morris Hospital is receiving seven 5-Star awards for patient perception and two 4-Star awards.
Along with receiving Truven Health’s 100 Top Hospitals award this year (Morris Hospital was also a 100 Top Hospitals award winner in 2007 and 1993), Morris Hospital has recently earned a number of additional accolades that demonstrate the incredible outcomes of its service excellence journey:
- One of 133 hospitals in the nation to receive eight consecutive “A’s” on the Leapfrog Group’s Hospital Safety Score; one of 18 hospitals in Illinois with consecutive straight-A rankings as listed in Crain’s Chicago Business article, “Which Illinois hospitals are safest for patient care?”
- 2016 recipient of the 100 SafeCare Hospitals® award.
- Consistent ratings at or above state and national averages on 7 of 8 HCAHPS questions.
- Top performer in HCAHPS Quality measures for VTE, Influenza vaccination, and Stroke.
- Value Based Purchasing Patient Safety Indicator (PSI-90) less than the national benchmark, resulting in fewer patient safety events.
- 4 out of 5 stars on the CMS Overall Hospital Quality Star Rating demonstration project, or top 11%.
- Reduced hospital acquired pressure ulcers by 50% in 2015.
- Met or exceeded all CMS ED Thru Put timeliness measures.
- Achieved certification as a Primary Stroke Center through the Healthcare Facilities Accreditation Program.
- Achieved certification from the American Association of Diabetes Educators’ Diabetes Education Accreditation Program.
- Physician perceptions of Laboratory Services, Emergency Services, Nursing Care, Quality of Care, Patient Safety, Radiology, and Rehabilitation rank above the 90th percentile.
- Patient perception of both Med/Surg units, Family Birthing Suites, Inpatient Services, Immediate Care, and two hospital managed physician practices rank above the 90th percentile, with the Emergency Department and Outpatient Services ranking in the top 25%.
To learn more about Morris Hospital, go to www.morrishospital.org, or find Morris Hospital & Healthcare Centers on Facebook, where you’ll discover that this truly is an organization that is about extraordinary care and the people who provide it.