Over the past 48 years, CCI Health & Wellness Services has evolved from a volunteer-driven safety net clinic to a vibrant, integrated, multidisciplinary organization focused on improving the overall health and wellness of its community. CCI’s mission is to empower patients to partner with staff for an unparalleled healthcare experience. Through integrated teams in a learning environment, they deliver high quality, affordable care to every patient during all stages of life.
CCI Health & Wellness Services opened its doors in 1969 when a cadre of volunteer health professionals working with the City of Rockville's Roving Youth Leader Program opened a safety-net clinic to provide health care to at-risk youth. In 1972, it incorporated as a nonprofit under the name Community Clinic, Inc. (CCI). The 1980’s brought significant expansion, as CCI established additional health centers in Silver Spring and Gaithersburg. Serving a rapidly growing population of uninsured and Medicaid patients, CCI added health centers in Takoma Park and expanded services in Gaithersburg during the 1990’s. CCI was also awarded the State of Maryland contract for the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children (WIC) for Montgomery County Maryland in 1996.
In the past several years, CCI Health & Wellness Services has experienced tremendous growth, expanding both its service area and menu of health programs.
- In 2003, CCI received Joint Commission accreditation, recognized nationwide as a symbol of high quality, safe, and effective health care provision.
- In 2005, CCI began offering behavioral health services.
- In 2007, CCI expanded its services into Prince George’s County, establishing a WIC site in Greenbelt, making CCI the largest WIC provider in the State of Maryland.
- In 2008, CCI became recognized as a Federally Qualified Health Center (FQHC).
- In 2009, CCI established a new Family Planning program in Greenbelt, collocated with its WIC site.
- In 2010, CCI opened its first dental practice adjacent to its Gaithersburg health center.
- In 2013, new primary care access points were opened at Family Services, Inc. (integrated with a behavioral health service provider); Silver Spring (relocation of previous site); and the Franklin Park community in Greenbelt. (CCI’s first primary care practice in Prince George’s County).
- In 2014, CCI opened its doors on the campus of Washington Adventist Hospital.
- In 2014, CCI began contracting with the State of Maryland to provide Refugee Health Assessments. CCI also expanded its menu of services to include HIV/infectious disease and prenatal care services the same year.
- In 2015, CCI rebranded as CCI Health & Wellness Services to reflect our integrated patient-centered approach to care
- In 2015, CCI Health & Wellness Services embarked on its journey to excellence with the Studer Group as part of a newly formed collaborative which included CCI, Greater Baden Medical Services, West Cecil Health Center, and the Mid-Atlantic Association of Community Health Centers (MACHC).
- In 2015, CCI Health & Wellness Services opened a new primary care access point in the Kemp Mill community of Silver Spring, collocated with a community-based behavioral health provider (Cornerstone Montgomery).
- In 2015, CCI Health & Wellness Services - Takoma Park practice site was recognized as a Patient Centered Medical Home (PCMH) by the National Committee for Quality Assurance (NCQA).
- In 2016, CCI Health & Wellness Services - Silver Spring health center expanded to include dental and adolescent health services.
- In 2017, CCI opened an additional integrated site with Cornerstone Montgomery in Rockville. This new site is also co-located with Interfaith Works, which provides services to homeless women in Montgomery County.
- In 2017, five additional health centers sites received PCMH recognition.
Thanks to Studer Group’s evidence-based principles and tactics, and coaching by Jackie Gaines, after the first 3-year process, the organization has created a culture of accountability, quality, and performance, which is driven by data and metrics, and aligns with clinical, operational and financial outcomes.
The team at CCI Health & Wellness Services strongly believe that their work is worthwhile, and believe that wellness is achievable. Their purpose is to help the members of their communities obtain positive health outcomes. Whether by nutrition counseling, behavioral health interventions, medical and dental treatments, or resource alignment, each one of them, regardless of their function, is making a difference in someone’s life.